Can one volunteer for it? How?
13 replies (most recent on top)
I know somehow who tried to do it as they had another job elsewhere lined up. Didn't work. But the person was smart to ask -- no harm in giving it a try. No bridge burnt. Once they got the no, gave their notice and left to greener pastures, which is easy as most places are better than here. Would have been cool to get that free $$$ and save someone a job.
@ej that could have been me but I retired immediately after my (meager) bonus in Feb.
@c4 st this point you want your bonus as 9 mos in. I asked to volunteer and didn’t sweat it as heard they weren’t taking volunteers. A peer asked for a package or get on the list and was told no. He retired instead. I kept quiet.
@d2 this. I did the same. You can’t seem to want it too bad. If they think you are going to bounce anyway, they may not. The relationship w/your MD is what’s important so they can advocate on your behalf. Good Luck!
@ea RIF = reduction in force, MD = managing director, the C16s that rule over us
Is there an acronym guide somewhere............I'm new looking for RIF and MD
Asked my MD to be considered being our area was being hit and successfully received a package. Approach carefully and you must have a relationship with your MD prior. If your MD is a nasty S-B probably not a great idea.
My recommendation would be to raise your hand to your boss in case your area does have future impacts.
It’s not easy. And there’s no incentive to do so.
Laying off people (particularly older, more tenured) is very expensive
They want you to just leave
Asking for over a year. Also useless, rude and physically/mentally absent and no RIF. They will pick someone else who needs the job as I work that cooter for Zip Recruiter!
You can but it won’t work (at least didn’t for me). I just decided to retire.
I talked to my MD and have been waiting for 7 months. I was told it will look like any other layoff (sudden, abrupt, no good bye emails). It was supposed to happen in July '26 for me, but I'm hearing it will have to wait at least until Q1 2027 now.
So yeah, it will take a few months or an year (or more!).
Talk to your MD. It takes a few months though.